Is the word TRINITY in the bible?
This is what some Christians ask in order to ridicule or deny the existence of this great mystery. But, replying them with a question, I’ll also ask: “is the word BIBLE in the bible?”
The answer to this is NO.
However, we can say, without any iota of doubt, that there are evident traces that serve as foundations for bringing the word BIBLE into existence- the word we call holy bible today has the same meaning as the word “Holy Scriptures” as used in the passages of the bible.
In the same vein, there is no such word as TRINITY in the bible but you cannot disproof the fact that the Trinitarian presence was obvious in:
1. The Creation- in the beginning was the WORD and the Word was with GOD and the ‘WORD was GOD'(Jn 1:1), and the SPIRIT of GOD was hovering over the face of the waters (Gen 1:2).
2. Christ’s Baptism: Father’s voice, Christ’s physical presence and the Holy Spirit’s symbolic presence through the Dove (Cf. Matt 3:16-17).
3. The Transfiguration: The Father’s voice, Christ’s physical presence in his transfigured self and the spirit’s presence in form of the shining cloud (Matt 17:5)
4. “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” (Matt 28:19)
5. “The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all” (2nd Corinthians 13:13).
These are just a few Biblical passages where the traces are clearly seen.
The Trinity can be anthromorphically compared to an equilateral triangle (its sides and angles are equal). The persons of the Trinity are distinct in personality but are equal.
THE TRINITY EXISTS IN AND IS THE ‘CUMEN ET FONS’ (summit and source) OF UNITY AND LOVE.
We pray that the love and unity of the TRINITY may spread to our world, our country Nigeria, our families and our inner selves.
IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER AND OF THE SON AND OF THE HOLY SPIRIT. AMEN.
HAPPY TRINITY SUNDAY
KALU SAMUEL (KSAM)
About the Author
Kalu Samuel Chukwudi